Prom is considered by many high school students the most important social event of the school year.
Traditionally held in the spring and hosted by the junior class, prom serves as a graduation gift of sorts for the senior class. It’s a time to reflect on their accomplishments and other highlights of the current academic year.
In addition to the dance itself, there are other activities that often revolve around prom including pre-prom dinners, after-prom parties, post-prom breakfasts, etc. Every prom committee looks to create a unique, stand-out production that students will talk about for years to come.
A lot of time, effort and money goes into planning a prom, and with all of this in mind, you may have already determined that prom provides great opportunities for you to reach out and help those doing the planning.
Following are a list of prom themes you’re likely to encounter this season along with specific ideas of what you might offer to support those themes as you market your product for this very important event.
• The Roaring Twenties/Gatsby – This theme is definitely going to be a top choice for proms this year. Revamp art deco wedding invitations found in albums such as 20Fourteen™ (album code: RW, online code: RR). They may easily be converted to prom invitations. You will also find these invitations by searching “art deco” on the Carlson Craft Online Store.
• Destination Paris – Travel, even when imaginary, is wonderful. The door is open when it comes to destination themes for prom, but Paris leads the way. Who can resist the quaint, sidewalk cafés; the undeniable presence of the Eiffel Tower; and la joie de l’ amour (joy of love)? Page through the 20Fourteen album for Paris-related invitation ensembles. Be sure to visit the Carlson Craft Online Store and search “Paris” to find invites that are available only from the online store.
• Tropical/Beach Theme – This theme can be done tastefully in contemporary fashion. Promote an upscale beach theme with soft mint and sparkling silver as the color combination. Suggest having clear, cylinder vases filled with sand as candle table toppers. You have the sand and you have the vases. This is a great time to upsell these things.
• Viva Las Vegas – A popular choice for quite some time is the casino theme. The flashing lights, rolling dice, and game tables found at a casino set the scene and offer a fun alternative to dancing all night. Conduct a search at the Carlson Craft Online Store for “Las Vegas” to find wedding invitations ready to customize for prom.
• Hooray for Hollywood – Bling is just the thing for this glamour and glitz theme! A bit of silver sparkle gives invitations extra glam appeal. Suggest adding metallic ribbon, pearls or rhinestones to favors and decorations to create that “wow” factor.
• Country Chic – Wood grain, warm colors, and soft glow create a naturally rustic vibe. Show customers wedding invitations of wood veneer like WA32846LD (online exclusive) that can easily be used as prom invites. Don’t forget to mention that jute ribbon, jute cord and burlap create rich layers of fabulous texture.
• Remind your clients that they can create their own unique designs with custom invitations and accessories. The sky is the limit!
• Collaborate with photographers, caterers, limousine services, formalwear shops, florists, and other related vendors to create a prom night bundle. Share in the advertising and share in the profits!
• As you work with customers looking at product for prom night, be sure to upsell other prom items such as place cards, embellishments (e.g., wraps, rhinestones, burlap, jute cord, pearls), decorations, garters, keepsakes, and napkins. This is the perfect time to upsell ooh la color™ napkins (see this issue’s promotion article for details on how you can receive 20% off these napkin orders).